Explore ROX’s favourite enchanting festivities in the Cotswolds this Christmas season!
While the allure of a cosy evening by the wood burner is undeniable, a myriad of delightful events promises to make your holiday season truly magical.
1. Blenheim Palace Christmas Market When: 17 November – 17 December Step into a magical Winter wonderland at Blenheim Palace, immersing yourself in the story of Sleeping Beauty inside the palace or strolling along the illuminated trail in the sprawling 150-acre garden. With over 70 designer and craft traders in the Great Court, find the perfect stocking fillers for your loved ones.
2. Christmas Shopping in Broadway Village Experience the lively charm of Broadway village, adorned with twinkling lights as Christmas shoppers fill the streets. Indulge in mince pies and mulled wine on Friday nights, revelling in the festive spirit.
3. Cirencester Christmas Market When: 10th, 17th, and 19 – 21st December Discover unique Christmas gifts at Cirencester's Christmas Gift Markets, featuring high-quality traders and craftsmen. Find that special something for your other half amid the festive atmosphere.
4. Moreton-in-Marsh Christmas Lights Witness Moreton-in-Marsh magical Christmas lights and immerse yourself in the quintessential charm of this Cotswold town during this festive evening celebration.
5. Enchanted Light Trail, Cotswold Farm Park When: Fridays to Sundays throughout November and December, plus 20-23rd and 28-31st December (excluding Christmas Eve) Create magical memories at Cotswold Farm Park with the family. Feed animals in the stables, enjoy toasted marshmallows and hot chocolate by the fire, and marvel at the illuminations in the Enchanted Forest.
6. Spectacle of Light, Sudeley Castle When: 24 November – 30 December Experience one of the Cotswolds' most famous festive events at Sudeley Castle. Whether with family or for a romantic evening, the Spectacle of Light promises to captivate your imagination.
7. Children’s Christmas Trail at Batsford When: 1 December – 5 January Enjoy a family stroll around Batsford Arboretum, discovering Christmassy characters for a chance to win a prize for your children.
8. Christmas at Cogges Manor Farm Visit Father Christmas at Cogges Manor Farm for a weekend of family fun activities. Learn to craft the perfect Christmas wreath at their table arrangement workshop.
9. Cheltenham Christmas Market When: 14th – 23rd December Located on the Promenade in Cheltenham, the Arts & Crafts Market showcases beautiful crafts, original art, pottery, glassware, jewelry, and more, making it a perfect destination for festive shopping.
Embrace the joy of the season in the Cotswolds with these delightful Christmas activities and if you’re fond of open fires and hot drinks with a lake view – come into the café any time up until Christmas Eve.
Our Extra Special Mulled Wine Recipe
We've been asked by a few of you, how we make our Mulled Wine so yummy (and moreish), so here's our take on the best recipe...
Traditional homemade mulled wine (really easy and always transports you to a winter wonderland – no matter where you are!).
For a delightful experience, let's dive into the creation of the original ROX Mulled Wine. Here’s what you'll need:
Wine: There's no need to break the bank here – opt for a mid-range bottle of dry red or white wine. A fruity and full-bodied wine works best, ensuring it can stand up to the heat without losing its flavour. Zinfandel, Merlot, or Grenache are excellent choices. For larger batches, consider using a quality boxed wine.
Brandy: Yes brandy! Elevate your mulled wine by adding a touch of brandy. While traditional, you can also experiment with alternatives like Cointreau (or another orange liqueur) or tawny port for a unique twist.
Fresh Oranges: Grab two fresh oranges—one to slice and mull in the wine and another for optional garnish. To reduce bitterness, we recommend peeling the orange before simmering it in the wine.
Cinnamon: Enhance the aroma and flavour with cinnamon. While cinnamon sticks are the ROX preference, feel free to use ground cinnamon if that's what you have available.
Mulling Spices: Choose your favourite mulling spices, keeping in mind that they can vary from country to country. We particularly enjoy the warmth of whole cloves and star anise, with a hint of cardamom pods.
Sweetness: Add your preferred sweetener to taste. While classic sugar works well, at ROX we like to naturally sweeten our mulled wine with honey.
Get ready to embark on a journey of rich flavours and comforting warmth with the original ROX Mulled Wine. Cheers to a festive and flavourful experience!